GENEVA BIBLE 1599
The Bible of the Pilgrims who founded America and also the Bible of the Reformation.
To view the Daily Scripture Archives, please click on the link below.
1 The (1) (*) Elders which are among you, (2) I beseech which am also an Elder, and a witness of the sufferings of Christ, and also a partaker of the glory that shall be revealed,
(1) He describeth peculiarly the office of the Elders, that is to say, of them that have the care of the Church.
(*) By Elders he understandeth all them which preach, teach, or minister
in the Church.
(2) He useth a preface touching the circumstance of his own person, that is, that he as their companion communeth with them not of matters which he knoweth not, but wherein he is as well experienced as any, and propoundeth unto them no other condition but that which he himself hath sustained before them, and doeth still take the same pains, and also hath one selfsame hope together with them.
2 (3) (a) Feed the (4) flock of (*) God, (5) which (♣) dependeth upon you, (6) caring for it not by constraint, but willingly, not for filthy lucre, but of a ready mind;
(3) The first rule: He that is a shepherd, let him feed the flock.
(a) He saith not, Offer for the quick and dead, and sing patched shreds in a strange tongue, but (Feed.)
(4) The second: Let the shepherd consider, that the flock is not his, but Godís.
(*) Or, Christ.
(5) The third: Let not shepherds invade other men's flocks, but let them feed that which God hath committed unto them.
(♣) Or, which is committed unto you, or as much as in you lieth.
(6) Let the shepherds govern the Church with the word and example of godly and unblameable life, not by constraint but willingly, not for filthy lucre, but with a ready mind, not as lords over God's portion and heritage, but as his ministers.
3 Not as though ye were lords over Godís (b) heritage, but that ye may be examples to the flock.
(b) Which is the Christian people.
4 (7) And when that chief Shepherd shall appear, ye shall receive an incorruptible crown of glory.
(7) That the shepherds' minds be not overcome either with the wickedness of men, or their cruelty, he warneth them to cast their eyes continually upon that chief Shepherd, and the crown which is laid up for them in heaven.
5 (8) Likewise ye younger, submit yourselves unto the Elders, and submit yourselves every man, one to another, (*) deck yourselves inwardly in lowliness of mind, (9) for (♣) God resisteth the proud, and giveth grace to the humble.
(8) He commendeth many peculiar Christian virtues, and especially modesty; which admonition all of us stand in need of, but especially the younger sort, by reason of the untowardness and pride of that age.
(*) Romans 12:10 .
(9) Because pride seemeth to many, to be the way unto the glory of this life, the Apostle witnesseth on the contrary side, that ignominy and shame is the reward of pride, and glory the reward of modesty.
(♣) James 4:6 .
6 Humble (*) yourselves therefore (10) under the mighty hand of God, that he may exalt you in due time.
(*) James 4:10 .
(10) Because those proud and lofty spirits threaten the modest and humble, the Apostle warneth us to set the power of God against the vanity of proud men, and to hang wholly upon his providence.
7 (*) Cast all your care on him, for he careth for you.
(*) Psalm 55:22; Matthew 6:25; Luke 12:22 .
8 (11) Be sober, and watch, for (*) your adversary the devil as a roaring lion walketh about, seeking whom he may devour;
(11) The cruelty of Satan, who seeketh by all means to devour us, is overcome by watchfulness and faith.
(*) Luke 22:31 .
9 Whom resist steadfast in the faith, (12) knowing (*) that the same afflictions are accomplished in your (c) brethren which are in the world.
(12) The persecutions which Satan stirreth up, are neither new nor proper to any one man, but from old and ancient times common to the whole Church, and therefore we must suffer that patiently wherein which we have such and so many fellows of our conflicts and combats.
(*) Nothing cometh unto us, which we see not to appertain to the rest of
Christ's members; and therefore we ought not to refuse that condition
which is common to all the Saints.
(c) Amongst your brethren which are dispersed throughout the world.
10 (13) And the God of all grace, which hath called us unto his eternal glory by Christ Jesus, after that ye have suffered a little, make you perfect, confirm, strengthen and stablish you.
(13) He sealeth up as it were with a seal, the former exhortation with a solemn prayer, again willing them to ask increase of strength at his hands of whom they had the beginning, and hope to have the accomplishment, to wit, of God the Father in Jesus Christ in whom we are sure of the glory of eternal life.
11 To him be glory and dominion forever and ever, Amen.
12 (14) By Silvanus a faithful brother unto you, as I suppose, have I written briefly, exhorting and testifying how that this is the true grace of God, wherein ye stand.
(14) Continuance and perseverance in the doctrine of the Apostles, is the only ground and foundation of Christian strength; Now the sum of the Apostlesí doctrine, is salvation freely given of God.
13 (15) The Church that is at (d) Babylon elected together with you, saluteth you, and Marcus my son.
(15) Familiar salutations.
(d) In that famous city of Assyria, where Peter the Apostle of circumcision then was.
14 Greet ye one another with the (*) kiss of love. Peace be with you all which are in Christ Jesus, Amen.
(*) Romans 16:16; 1 Corinthians 16:20; 2 Corinthians 13:12 .
1599 Geneva Bible Online
Open your heart to the truth of Jesus Christ, please read the info on this link:
1 Corinthians 14:8
And also if the trumpet give an uncertain sound, who shall prepare himself to battle?
"Let not Geneva be forgotten or despised. Religious liberty owes it most respect." John Adams, the second president of the United States
Before, and many years after the KJV was printed, the GENEVA BIBLE was the People's Choice, but an ungodly King made it illegal to publish it any longer: http://www.genevabible.org/Geneva.html Click on "Geneva Bible History" on my site.
Yahoo Group Owner